Anisakis are parasitic nematodes that are commonly found in the intestines of marine mammals and fish. These parasites can also infect humans who consume raw or undercooked seafood, especially fish that are commonly used as sushi or sashimi.

Anisakis infection is also known as Anisakiasis, and the symptoms can include inflamed digestive tract, severe stomach pain, nausea, and vomiting. In some rare cases, the infection can also lead to an allergic reaction, which can cause anaphylaxis.

To prevent Anisakiasis, it is recommended to cook fish thoroughly before consuming it. Freezing fish before consuming it can also kill these parasites. Additionally, consuming high-quality seafood from reputable sources can also reduce the risk of infection.

In conclusion, it is essential to be cautious when consuming seafood, especially raw or undercooked fish. Being aware of the risk of Anisakis infection and taking proper precautions can prevent this parasitic infection and ensure a safe and enjoyable seafood dining experience.