FOODBORNE ILLNESS – INDIA (09): (UTTAR PRADESH) WEDDING FEAST
A ProMED-mail post
ProMED-mail is a program of the
International Society for Infectious Diseases
Date: Wed 24 May 2023 05:12 PM IST
Source: LatestLY, Press Trust of India (PTI) report [edited] https://www.latestly.com/agency-news/india-news-70-hospitalised-after-eating-sweets-at-wedding-feast-in-up-village-5151074.html
In a suspected case of food poisoning, around 70 people, including
several children, were hospitalised after eating at a wedding feast in
a village [in Kannauj district, Uttar Pradesh], a senior official said
on [Wed 24 May 2023].
Sub-Divisional Magistrate Garima Singh said the patients ate at the
function in Madharpur village on Tuesday evening [23 May 2023].
Of the around 200 people who consumed the food, about 70 complained of
vomiting and diarrhoea after eating ‘rasgulla’ (a milk-based sweet)
served there, she added. [5 children and 3 adults] were admitted to
the district hospital after their condition worsened, Singh said.
Dr Shakti Basu, Chief Medical Superintendent of the district, said the
condition of all the patients in the district hospital is stable,
adding that some were taken to private hospitals.
A resident of the village said almost everyone who attended the feast
had eaten the rasgulla, following which several fell ill.
You must log in to post a comment.