WHO Guidance For Easing Restrictions and Transition Risk Assessment Decisions
Any step to ease restrictions and transition must ensure:
- That evidence shows COVID-19 transmission is controlled;
- That public health and health system capacities including hospitals are in place to identify, isolate, test, trace contacts and quarantine them;
- That outbreak risks are minimized in high-vulnerability settings – particularly in elderly homes, mental health facilities and people residing in crowded places;
- That workplace preventive measures are established – with physical distancing, handwashing facilities, respiratory etiquette in place;
- That importation risks can be managed; and
- That communities have a voice and are engaged in the transition.
My single over-riding message? If you cannot ensure these criteria are in place, before easing restrictions, please re-think.